Start your food journey at Rydalmere’s Big Tree House Café for a funky food fix, with its great coffee, all-day breakfast (including excellent corn fritters and ricotta hotcakes!) and family-friendly service. For lunch, head to the iconic Temasek, serving authentic laksa since it opened its doors to hungry locals in 1992. Choose from prawns, chicken or be brave and go with both. The rest of the Singaporean and Malaysian menu is brimming with classics like beef rendang, the Chinese-inspired dish of Hainanese chicken or the $ 13-weekday lunch option. Experience authentic Lao and Northern Thai cuisine at Lao Der, featuring family recipes passed down from generations that focus on fresh ingredients and regional spices such as coriander, kaffir lime and lemongrass. Mr and Mrs Pham came to Australia as refugees from Vietnam and opened their much-beloved restaurant Pho Pasteur in 1992 to share the flavours of their culture. Their menu features the staple of beef pho, but also plenty of traditional provincial dishes and a handful of vegan and vegetarian options.
- Big Tree House Cafe - 88 Calder Road Rydalmere 2116. Visit the Big Tree House Facebook page.
- Lao Der - 277b Church Street Parramatta 2150. Visit the Lao Der website.
- Pho Pasteur - 137 Church Street Parramatta 2150. Visit the Pho Pasteur website.
- Temasek - 71 George Street Parramatta 2150. Visit the Temasek Facebook page.
Taking Parramatta’s food scene by storm is the sleek and modern Chophouse, the ‘meat mecca’ sister of its Sydney CBD locale. Chophouse’s menu is coloured with premium meats, sourced from local NSW producers, including wagyu and dry-aged cuts, cooked to perfection. Fancy a quick drink and a bite before heading to a show? Head to the Chophouse bar or alfresco area. Carnivores will also love The Meat & Wine Co, which has gained fans with its sophisticated fit-out, its diverse wine menu and a touch of African inspiration on the menu. Step back in time at Lachlan’s Old Government House in Parramatta Park, a UNESCO World Heritage-listed building that makes a jaw-dropping destination for special events, including weddings, anniversaries and high teas.
- Lachlan's Old Government House - Parramatta Park, Pitt Street Parramatta 2150; (02) 9687 2662. Visit the Lachlan's - Old Government House website.
- The Meat and Wine Co. - Shop 6/330 Church Street Parramatta 2150; (02) 8629 8808. Visit the Meat and Wine Co. website.
- Chophouse - Centenary Square, 83 Macquarie Street Parramatta 2150; (02) 8855 3400. Visit the Chophouse website.