Budget Bites – Everyday Dining
Whoever said eating well comes with a big price tag hasn’t visited the eateries in Parramatta. Dharmesh Rangparia has shaped a bustling go-to for Indian street food with his restaurant Chatkazz. The menu here is entirely vegetarian and offers a breakfast range on weekends. Dishes are snack-worthy, with many designed to share. Mr and Mrs Pham came to Australia as refugees from Vietnam and opened their much-beloved restaurant Pho Pasteur in 1992 to share the incredible flavours of their culture. Their extensive menu features the well-known staple of beef pho, but also plenty of traditional provincial dishes and a handful of vegan and vegetarian options. Blink and you’ll miss the tiny hole-in-the-wall coffee joint Double Mac, serving up a daily brew to those in need of a caffeine hit. If combining coffee and community spirit is your thing then the social enterprise café Darcy Street Project is the perfect cosy spot for a hot or cold beverage – while helping marginalised people.
- Chatkazz - Shop 4/14-20 Station Street East Harris Park 2150; (02) 8677 0033. Visit the Chatkazz website.
- Pho Pasteur - 137 Church Street Parramatta 2150; (02) 9635 0782. Visit the Pho Pasteur website.
- Double Mac - 8/194 Macquarie Street Parramatta 2150; 0450 116 346
- Darcy Street Project - Shop 4 City Centre Carpark Parramatta 2150; Visit the Darcy Street Project website.
Splash Out - Special Occasion
Set within picturesque Parramatta Park, Lachlan’s - Old Government House is a popular choice for special events, including weddings and high teas. During warmer months, be sure to sit on the long verandah and sample the ever-evolving chef’s choice menu. The answer to your stomach rumbles may be Courtney’s Brasserie, every dish at this fine-dining spot is presented as a work of art. Sustainably caught fish and a full vegetarian menu are all part of its vision to serve up locally sourced ingredients in novel ways. For the carnivores, there’s little wonder why The Meat & Wine Co. has gained a steady following in Parramatta. Distinguishing itself from other steakhouses, this sophisticated locale, with its artfully dressed dishes, is a go-to for those who take both their meats and wines seriously. And to continue the protein-rich culinary trail, opening its doors on Centenary Square, Chophouse is the contemporary Australian grill bringing its iconic flavours and premium dining to Parramatta.
- Lachlan's - Parramatta Park, Pitt Street Parramatta 2150; (02) 9687 2662. Visit the Lachlan's - Old Government House website.
- Courtney's Brasserie - 30 Charles Street Parramatta 2150, 02 9635 3288. Visit the Courtney's Brasserie website.
- The Meat and Wine Co. - Shop 6/330 Church Street Parramatta 2150; (02) 8629 8808. Visit the Meat and Wine Co. website.
- Chophouse - Centenary Square, 83 Macquarie Street Parramatta 2150; (02) 8855 3400. Visit the Chophouse website.