Hambledon Cottage was built by John Macarthur in 1824 as a second house on his Elizabeth Farm Estate. It has had many notable occupants in the early days, including General Sir Edward Macarthur, Archdeacon Thomas Hobbes Scott and Dr Matthew Anderson. Penelope Lucas, the former governess to John Macarthur's daughters, lived there for 9 years, naming the family "Cottage" after the township of Hambledon in Hampshire, England.
Hambledon Cottage is built of rendered sandstock brick in the Colonial Georgian style, the joinery throughout is of Australian cedar and is a splendid example of fine Georgian detailing. Some of the internal ceilings and walls are still of lath and plaster whilst one bedroom still has its original ironbark floor. An excellent example of a domed brick oven adjoins the open fireplace in the kitchen. The cottage is tastefully furnished in the style of the mid-1800s.
Hambledon Cottage welcomes visitors Thursday through to Sunday between 11am-4pm. Groups of 10 or more are welcome at other times, via appointment. School groups can be catered through customised programs where required.
If travelling from Sydney by public transport, you can catch the Parramatta Rivercat from Circular Quay (50 minute journey) or the Train to Parramatta Station. Hambledon Cottage is a 20 minute walk or short taxi ride from the city centre or can be reached by Bus on route M92 (alighting at Purchase Street).
Hambledon Cottage is a feature of the Harris Park Heritage Walk. The walk begins at Parramatta Wharf and loops around the heritage properties. It is a 2.4km, 45 min walk which also includes Elizabeth Farm and Experiment Farm Cottage.
View Larger Map